One of the most common questions for a developer is: Should I learn Python or PHP for web development? And despite the dozens of choices available, which language you should learn often comes down to your personal preference and skills.
This post will take a look at two of the most widely used web development languages: PHP and Python. And give you a suitable answer about whether Should I learn Python or PHP for web development
When it comes to web development, there’s no question that PHP is a popular language.
There’s no reason to be scared. PHP is one of the most widely used languages in the world and is perfect for creating complex websites.
But whichever you decide to learn, make sure you start with the best resources out there.
What is Python?
Python is an interpreted high-level functional programming language created by Guido van Rossum in 1991. Python has uses in web development, software development, and system scripting, among other applications.
Python can also be used to create standalone scripts or desktop applications using its built-in GUI capability. Scripts can be launched with the command line interpreter or imported directly into a programming environment such as Windows XP Mode or Mac OS X Lion Developer Tools.
Python has a lot of features, and we’ll talk about some of them below:
- Object-Oriented Language
- Graphical User interfaces Programming Support
- Python code can integrate into C or C++ language
- Easy to debug
- You can run Python code on any platform. Such as Windows, Linux, Unix, and Mac.
- Python’s standard library offers many modules and functions so you don’t have to create code for everything.
- It is a dynamically-typed language.
- Python’s Django and Flask frameworks make it a popular Backend Development language.
What is PHP?
PHP is a popular open-source language that is used by millions of web developers to build websites and applications. PHP was created in 1990, and it continues to grow in popularity as a centralized platform for content management systems, e-commerce platforms, and many other applications.
It is available to be studied, modified, and distributed without restrictions. This makes it a powerful choice for web development projects because anyone can use it to build websites and applications.
PHP has many features that make it an excellent platform for building websites and applications.
- Extensive libraries that offer support for a wide range of functions needed by Web developers
- A well-defined syntax that makes learning how to code with PHP easy
- A large community of users who can provide assistance if needed
- Can be used on both desktop and mobile devices. If you are looking for a platform that can handle a variety of tasks, PHP may be the perfect option for you.
- Supports many databases, such as Oracle, MySQL
- C and C++ can integrate with PHP
- A universal web-scripting language.
Python vs PHP for Web development: Overall
- The Python community is incredibly supportive and helps guide new users through the basics of the language. Additionally, there are numerous online resources and forums where you can get help with features on specific problems.
- The PHP developers are always willing to help, whether it’s answering questions on the forums or providing code samples. The support network extends well beyond PHP forums though, with mailing lists,https://talk.phpcommunity.org/ and Microsoft Q&A all providing excellent resources.
- Python has rich and comprehensive documentation. The Python Documentation site is https://docs.python.org/, and it includes a Tutorial, Reference Manual, Dictionary, Cookbook, and Examples pages.
- The PHP documentation includes a vast amount of information on everything from basic syntax to advanced This comprehensive documentation provides detailed information about the language, how to use it, and best practices for developing with PHP.
- The Python language itself is well-developed enough that you can usually find libraries that solve specific problems – making it a very versatile tool for developing applications.
Top 5 Python Libraries for Website Development, which are:
- The many libraries that are available give PHP developers a lot of flexibility when it comes to creating their applications. Furthermore, the fact that most of these libraries are free means that developers don’t have to spend money on them. This enables them to focus more on the functionality of their applications and less on the development tools themselves.
Top 5 PHP Libraries for Website Development, which are:
- Regarding database connectivity, Python falls short of PHP in many ways. Python supports multiple databases including
Python additionally provides Data Definition Language (DDL), Data Manipulation Language (DML), and Data Query Statements.
- PHP provides access to more than 20 different databases. This includes popular databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQLite. PHP also integrates with many third-party databases, making it easy to find the right one for your needs.
Most Popular Five Databases to Use with PHP:
Django and Flask are web application frameworks that use Python. Django is a popular choice for high-traffic websites because it’s lightweight and fast. Flask is more versatile and can be used to build simpler or more complex applications. Pylons is a web framework built on top of the Python Web framework, Django. Pylons give you everything you need to build well-structured, highly scalable web applications.
Codeigniter, Zend, and Laravel are popular PHP frameworks. Codeigniter is a lightweight framework that is based on the MVC pattern. It is easy to use and comes with a lot of built-in features. Zend is a more heavyweight framework, but it offers a lot of flexibility and customization ability. Laravel is a popular choice for larger projects, as it has an extensive API and supports many different languages.
- The Python Debugger (PDB) is an interactive Python shell that can be used to inspect and debug programs. PDB allows you to CONSOLE from within your program, watch variable values as they are updated, stop and restart your program, and more. PDB is available on most platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux), and can be installed with the pip install PDB command.
- Debugging PHP applications has never been easier thanks to a number of PHP debugging tools and PHP frameworks available for developers across all skill sets. Some of the most popular PHP debugging tools include Kint, Krumo, PHP DebugBar, Pinba, Xdebug, Whoop
Should I learn PHP or Python in 2022?
Let’s compiler which ones are best for website development:
Python and PHP both have excellent community support. This is due to their close collaboration, which has made the two languages well-known and usable by many people. In addition, the PHP community is more organized than Python, meaning that there are more resources available to them. Overall, these two languages are great choices for developers who want to work with a supportive community.
Both one best for community support.
Python and PHP both have excellent Documentation support, but there are some key differences. Python has a greater emphasis on code quality and consistency, while PHP has a stronger focus on the user experience. In order to ensure that your code is easy to read and learn, PHP provides clear and concise information. This includes on your website, in your documentation, and even in the comments of code examples. By doing so, you’ll make sure that everyone who uses your code can understand it quickly and easily.
In this case, PHP significantly beats Python.
PHP has incredibly well-developed library support for almost all types of applications, compared to Python. With rich library support, PHP also features a variety of features that make it an ideal choice for web development. This makes it a great choice for developers who are looking for reliable and easy-to-use tools.
From this point of view, PHP got a clear win.
Both Python and PHP are very good choices for web development. They both have their pros and cons, but they both offer a great solution when it comes to creating websites. While Python is more commonly used for scientific computing, PHP is more popular for web development. The most popular Python-based web framework is Django, on the other hand, PHP frameworks like Laravel are very widely used in web applications.
In this case, Python and PHP are both good options, and neither one is clearly better.
Python language and PHP language provide powerful debugging tools. Python’s standard library includes a debugger, PDB (Python Debugger), which is very powerful. XDebug is a popular package for debugging PHP applications. It is available as a library or as a separate application.
In this case, Python and PHP both win.
Python is also slightly less popular than PHP when it comes to Database Connectivity. PHP has a stronger foundation with more established frameworks and libraries on databases. PHP provides access to more than 20 different databases, which makes it an excellent choice for web development. Python, on the other hand, only provides access to a limited number of databases.
In this point of view PHP significantly beats Python.
So, which is the best way to learn web development?
PHP is a winner over Python for beginning web developers. PHP has been around for years, is more commonly used, and comes with many built-in features that make development quicker and easier. Its popularity is growing rapidly, making it a valuable tool for developing complex web applications.
- It is easier to understand codebase patterns and develop reusable code.
- PHP provides clear and concise Documentation, which makes it the best way to learn web development.
- PHP has many popular libraries that make coding much easier.
- PHP has a robust framework for web development, as well as support for databases and templating languages.
Which language should you learn after reading this comparison of Python and PHP for web development? In the end, it depends on what kind of developer you are and your specific needs. If you’re looking for a high-level programming language that is popular for web development, then PHP would be a good choice. For a more practical and fast scripting language for developing website projects, then PHP may be better suited.
Every web developer has their own preferences when it comes to the programming languages they use. That being said, if you’re considering learning either Python or PHP for web development, I would highly recommend doing some research first. Both languages have a lot of advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to make the decision that is best for you.