You might be a young graduate who is looking for an internship opportunity from a prestigious institute. And working for WordPress is like a dream come true for many. If you are dreaming of a promising career, WordPress is a very good place to start with. Who knows? Maybe you won’t leave WordPress for the rest of your professional career once you get a chance to join.
So, if you are wondering – “how to get a WordPress internship remote?” We can’t tell you the specific answer as WordPress has its own rules and methods for hiring personnel. We can tell you some basics and share some stories of the people who are currently working at WordPress.
Get WordPress Internship (Remote) By Following These Fundamental Steps –
Do you know?
-Over 37.8% of all the websites on the internet are powered by WordPress.
One huge fact that is driving the popularity of WordPress is that it doesn’t require any coding skills to build a website. And users can extend the functionalities of their websites conveniently by using plugins. There are tons of plugins for WordPress for almost any purpose. On top of that, users can tailor the appearance of their websites via themes. They can configure anything without writing a single code.
With that said, the following 5 steps may help you to get a WordPress internship remote.
- Step-1: Become an Expert at Coding
- Step-2: Research WordPress Exclusively
- Step-3: Emphasis on Your Area
- Step-4: Become an active member of the WordPress Community
- Step-5: Develop Your Portfolio
Step-1: Become an Expert at Coding
Therefore, you should master the fundamentals of coding if you wish to get an internship or job at WordPress.
|Handpicked Article for You –
Master WordPress – The Complete Beginner Guide
Step-2: Research WordPress Exclusively
If you have a genuine interest to work in WordPress, you don’t want to miss a single chance. There are plenty of resources that can make the journey of working at WordPress easier. Here are some of the examples –
- WordPress Developer Resources: If you want to find the resources from the WordPress developers, then this is the place. Here you can find a list of code references that might come in handy. Also, handbooks for plugins, themes, and APIs can be found here.
- WordPress Codex: Think of it as an online manual created by the developers of WordPress. Starting with the basics of creating a website, WordPress Codex covers almost all the technical aspects you need to know.
- Envato Tuts+: This is the one-stop solution to cover almost every tutorial regarding WordPress development. Just like WordPress Codex, you can find a wide range of tutorials including interactive images and videos in Envato Tuts+.
- Know the Code: This is one of the best e-learning websites for those who prefer video tutorials. There are 3 distinct learning paths featuring two for theme developers and one for plugin developers. We don’t suggest Know the Code unless you have decent coding skills.
Woo Product Table Pro
The Most Popular Product Table Plugin For WooCommerce
Step-3: Emphasis on Your Area
If you wish to get a WordPress internship remotely and pursue your career further, you basically need to focus on 3 areas. These areas are – Core development, Theme development, and Plugin development. You can also wish to work on all three areas. But first, you must be an expert in at least one particular area.
- Core Development: This is the area where you can add, delete, or change any rules of the WordPress structure. You will be working in the WordPress code development team led by the co-founder Matt Mullenweg. The WordPress core can also be downloaded as software from the official website.
- Theme Development: The developers in this area mainly develop themes for WordPress. After developing themes, they publish them in the WordPress Theme Directory. Other developers are also welcome here who build themes for either clients or sell them on third-party marketplaces.
- Plugin Development: The developers in this area mainly focus on building custom plugins for WordPress. Just like theme developers, they can release plugins in the directory, sell them on a third-party marketplace, or build particular plugins at the client’s request.
Step-4: Become an active member of the WordPress Community
Being the most popular CMS, some of the largest communities in the world are dedicated to improving WordPress. You can join any of these communities, this may make your path easier to get an internship at WordPress.
There are already millions of members in these communities. You can contact them through support forums or Slack channels to know how to get a WordPress internship remote. And WordCamp conferences are held each year where you can meet them in person. These conferences are held around the world and active participation in them can help you find specific answers. You can also stay up-to-date on WordPress products, networks, and release announcements through these communities.
Step-5: Develop Your Portfolio
Last but not least, you need to create your portfolio and a strong technical resume to prove your eligibility for a WordPress internship. If your portfolio demonstrates your work then, your resume will reveal your professionalism for the internship process. You should include necessary information in the technical resume and your portfolio should be enriched with your development work. This will act as evidence to prove your skill and competency for the WordPress internship position.
|Also Read –
How to setup WordPress on Google Cloud
The People of WordPress and How they Get their jobs at WordPress
In this article, we will also share some of the inspiring tales of how WordPress and its international network of factors can transform people’s lives for the better.
A particular developer from the United States (Named Tonya Mork) was hired at WordPress as a Core Tech Editor. Before WordPress, she worked as a chief engineer in the US Navy for 22 years. Insane right? But her life wasn’t exactly the same when she faced dramatic health issues in 2007. In her words –
“My career defined me. It was my canvas and my art. When it was gone, I was lost. I didn’t recognize myself.”Tonya Mork
In this extreme reality, she didn’t give up. She started writing blogs in WordPress that gave her hope and peace. She mainly writes about kindness and humanity. This is how WordPress gave her the support and motivation to keep her life going.
Check out add-ons to find simple tools which will make your site or blog better. For example, you could add a calendar to your side menu bar in order to share events that would be interesting to your readers. You can also find many great add-ons which provide control for advertising, turning your site into a revenue maker.
Anyways, the story of joining WordPress and its community wasn’t exactly the same for Yordan Soares. To him, WordPress was a means of discovering new friends and opportunities. Yordan originates from Venezuela, South America. Initially, he worked as a technical support person who started programming and web development in 2005. In his words –
“The first time I used WordPress, I had no idea what was going on behind the software or beyond it.”Yordan Soares
He was introduced to WordPress in 2010 and in 2013 he got close to WordPress by running a small advertising agency. And that’s not all, he began to work as a freelance web developer in 2018. Back then his clients were either private agencies or his own friends. Luckily, he met a WordPress community in Caracas when he moved to Guarenas. He didn’t waste any time signing up for the event. With the collaboration of Yordan and his colleagues, the WordPress community was able to organize 5 face-to-face events just before the Worldwide Pandemic Covid-19.
To Conclude –
Getting an internship at WordPress remote can be lucrative and fun at the same time. This is a great choice for your career. Although getting an internship at WordPress requires time and enough resources, it is worth it since this path leads to a handsome income and offers great flexibility. At the same time, you will have the opportunity to work with the best personnel to grow your skills.
As you already know WordPress is the number one choice among bloggers for creating websites. And this platform is expanding its importance in other sectors drastically. So, you can tell WordPress is definitely a big thing, and getting an internship at WordPress will unlock bigger doors for your career. We hope you have enjoyed reading this article. Please share your opinion by leaving a comment.